About the CMS Muon Trigger slides
Transparencies presented at various meetings are the primary communication
medium in CMS. Almost every information appears first just in this form.
Therefore it is extremally important to provide a quick and easy access
to this information for all interested people. The WWW offers very
convenient way of getting it. However providing the information
i.e. writing html is painful and time consuming process. Even more
difficult is maintenance of a big and complicated structure which is in fact
a kind of data base.
Facing all this problems I have made an attempt to facilitate these
tasks and build a tool for semiautomatic maintenance of a transparencies
archive. The purpose of this work was just to make my life easier
rather then create a general and powerful system. Therefore the structure
is rather stiff and all the scripts are full of explicite names.
The style is rather "amateur" than professional.
However knowing that many other people have similar problems I decided
to publish my work even if it cannot be very useful in its present form.
My hope is that somebody will take the ideas and create a nice utility
in more professional way.
Description of the system
Assumed structure (created "by hand")
Features of the system
The system performs the following tasks:
These tasks are done by a set of UNIX scripts:
- converts Post Script to GIF,
- creates a html page for every transparency,
- creates a html page for every directory,
- packs all the files into a tar archive to be moved to a WWW server.
All the scripts are appended here.
- Do_titles and Do_titles23 - facilitates preparing
.dirtitles and .filetitles files
- Do_cutlink - removes standard SGI link prefix link_to_
- ps_gif - converts Post Sript to GIF using the ImageMagick
by John Cristy (firstname.lastname@example.org) available by anonymous FTP
from ftp.x.org as
- Do_checkgif - checks whether there is a corresponding GIF
and mini-GIF for every Post Sript file
- Do_html creates a html page for every transparency
- Do_www creates a html page for every directory
- Do_find loops over all Post Sript files calling above scripts